Thursday, March 3, 2011

Post-Op Appointmet

Hey everyone, I hope you all are well!!  I had the post-op appointment this morning and learned the final pathology.  Unfortunately, I will have to have the Radioactive Iodine treatment, which I was hoping to avoid.  Mainly because the time away from my family that will be needed in order to have the treatment.  I don't know for sure how long yet, but from everything I've heard, I will have to be away from son for 7 days or so, which breaks my heart!  I have to be away from everyone else for at least 3 days.  Like I said, I'm not positive about the time away yet as I haven't talked with the Radiologist yet, but I've talked with some that have had it done and that's the general rule of thumb. That being said, the rest of the news was good, it was stage one cancer (the least aggressive) and it was pretty much encapsulated within itself, minus the one dumb lymph node it spread to, warranting the extended treatment.  I had 4 other lymph nodes and surrounding tissue taken out that were all clear, which is great!  The tumor itself was very small (less than a cm) and it was very early on.  All that being said, I see the Radiologist on April 6th (earliest they had!) for the consultation for the treatment, and we'll go from there.  So I have some mixed emotions, I'm bummed that I need more treatment because I don't want to be away from my family and I was hoping it was all just going to be over.  BUT, I'm very thankful that there are ways in today's day and age that they can treat it pretty harmlessly, I'm thankful to be surrounded by family that will be able to help with my son.  I'm thankful that the reoccurrence rate after the treatment is really rare.  Things could have been much, much worse!  I'm grateful for a God that even in the midst of what seem to some like bad news, He has a greater purpose and a reason for why He does what He does.  I don't need to know why He's planned this for me, but I don't need to, His word tells me how much He loves me and His plan is far better than my own for my life, so whatever He has planned for me, is ok with me.  Thanks for your continued prayers!!  Much love to you all!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Mandi! Sorry you're going to have to have the treatment done. I will pray that you will have peace about it. The news overall sounds great, and I am so glad that you had the surgery right away!! As you prepare for the time away during the treatment, please let us all help you. I would be happy to watch your sweet little boy for you. And maybe we can all brainstorm a list of a million things you can do to stay busy while you're away :) Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PTL that it was caught early! i am sorry you have to be away from your family for the treatment. God will get you through it!
    you know that saying, "whatever God leads you to He will lead you through!" something like that anyway.
    you have my prayers! and i agree with Kristina...ask for help...whatever you need! we will be there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad to hear all the good news and praying for you for the time away - i know how hard that can be but it will be over sooo quickly and then you will have the rest of your life to be with everyone, praise the Lord!!! thanking God for your friendship through the years and looking forward to many, many more years to come! love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. friend, so sorry that you have to go through more treatment, and have to be away from your family :( but i am so very glad that the rest of the report is good. thanks for the update. we'll keep praying :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are near your family during all this. I have been praying and will keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete